Thursday, January 26, 2012

Scene Rewrite: Jordan's View/Narration


Gatsby wisely decides to call off his parties, now that there was no need to lure Daisy back into his life. He fires all of his servants and hires those of his business partner Meyer Wolfshiem. Gatsby is now convinced that he and Daisy will return to their once forbidden love and live a lavish glamorous life together. No one seemed to know that we were on the peak of atrophy, I didn’t know what it was but things had been going too well for too long things were bound to fall apart.
Nick arrives at Daisy and Tom’s house for a little brunch and I along with Gatsby is there as well. When the nurse brings in Daisy’s baby girl, Gatsby is stunned and it appears so is daisy. Who would have thought that she’d actually have a child with Tom, then again who wouldn’t? Gatsby is shelled shocked, not just because it’s Tom’s child, but it’s Daisy, who would have thought that his love could conceive something you magnificently beautiful. Gatsby and Daisy cannot hide their love for one another. Complaining of her boredom, Daisy asks Gatsby if he wants to go into the city. Gatsby of course agrees but Tom threatened of by the lack of manhood he still desires to protect offers that we all head into the city, I don’t object and neither does poor Nick.
Nick Tom and I ride together in Gatsby’s car, and Gatsby and Daisy ride together in Tom’s car. Stopping for gas at Wilson’s garage, Nick, Tom, and Jordan learn that Wilson has discovered his wife’s infidelity. Wilson is not yet sure who the stooge and prude of the man she’s slept with is. What he does know is that she is planning to move to the west so it must be someone there. It is then that Nick seems to bounce upon some epiphany that Tom and Wilson stand in the same position, losing there pride, manhood and wives to some sleazebag of a man, all in the hopes and demise of money.
I suggested that we go to the movies. “I love New York on summer afternoons when every one’s way. There’s something very sensuous about it” I remember babbling on and on about New York I did love the place I did I was just fed up with the mess that was going on and of course I wanted to get under that perfect uneasy skin of Mr. Tom Buchanan. And if Daisy wasn’t fool enough to see she was flotsam passing through a landmine I was just the brute to help her.

No comments:

Post a Comment